- 1200 grams of beet roots
- half of a tart apple
- bay leaf
- all spice
- 4 tbs of lemon juice
- 2 tbs of white vinegar
- 2 to 4 tbs of sugar
- salt and pepper
- Using gloves peal off your beet roots and cut them into smaller pieces. Peal off your apple and cut is into smaller pieces as well.
- Process in your food processor the beet roots and apple until it is in small pieces but do not get it into pulp. You can use the grater for this as well.
- Transfer your beet roots into the pot and pour 6 cups of water over it. Add bay leaf, all spice, lemon juice, one tsp of sugar and salt and pepper.
- Bring it to the stove and on a medium high heat bring to boil and then cook for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat cover and let it stand over night.
- Using a cheese cloth in your strainer strain your beetroots. Leave them for couple of hours and give it a good push because your need all the flavor to be in your soup not left in the beet roots.
- Check for seasoning and add vinegar. Add sugar, salt and pepper as needed.
- Bring it back to the stove and bring it almost to a boil. Do not boil because it will change color to brown.
- Serve with uszka (mini pierogies).