- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup white all purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- zest and juice of one lemon
- icing sugar
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff picks and set aside.
- Zest half of the lemon, cut in half, keep juice from both halves separately.
- Mix butter with sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, one at the time mixing.
- Mix flour with baking powder and lemon zest, add to the batter, mix.
- Add poppy seeds and mix.
- Add lemon juice and mix than add flour and mix, add milk and mix again.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Spray you round baking pad and lay the bottom with the parchment paper.
- Transfer the batter into the baking pan.
- Bake in 180 Degrees Celsius for about 50 minutes.
- Into the bowl with icing sugar add few tablespoons of lemon juice and mix. Add more sugar or juice to get nice creamy consistency of icing for the cake.
- Cool the cake a little bit and remove from the baking pan.
- Put the icing on the cake, let it set, cut and serve.