- 1 cup of milk – 250 ml
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs of sugar – 25 g
- 1 tsp of salt – 5 g
- 3 cups of flour – 450g
- 3 tbs of melted butter – 40 g
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast – 10g
- 1/4 cup of sugar for boiling – 50g
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds or brown sugar for the top
- Combine lukewarm milk, egg, sugar, salt, melted butter, and yeast in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk for 30 seconds to combine the ingredients. Add flour. Mix on low speed using the dough hook until well-developed, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and let rise for 2 hours or until it gets double in size.
- Punch the dough down, place it on a lightly floured work surface, and use a knife or dough scraper to divide the dough into 8 pieces (or more, for smaller bagels). Roll each piece of dough into a long sausage shape. Fold in two, twist and join the ends to form a circle. Repeat with the remaining dough, and let the bagels rest for 15 minutes.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add sugar.
- Boil the bagels, two or three at a time, about 1 minute per side. Remove the bagels with a slotted spoon and place them on cooling rack placed on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the tops of the wet bagels into the toppings of your choice.
- Bake them in the preheated oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Please follow and like us: