For the cake:
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
For the cream:
- 1 cup of butter
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 5 tbs of white flour
- 5 tbs of corn starch
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- icing sugar
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Lightly coat two medium size baking pans with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. In a medium saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil.
- When butter has completely melted, remove from heat and, using a wooden spoon, add flour mixture. Return to stove and stir over low heat for 2 or 3 minutes or until dough cleans sides of pan and forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time. You can do it either by hand or with an electric mixer. Batter should be smooth and glossy.
- Pour dough into prepared pans and smooth it out.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and dry. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- In a mixing bowl put one cup milk, flour, corn starch, egg yolks and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a boil and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Reduce heat add egg mixture and continue to cook and stir until thickened like pudding, at least 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Let it cool to room temperature, covered with plastic wrap not to form the crust.
- Make sure filling is completely cool before beating in softened butter. Butter and cream should both be room temperature to get smooth cream without any lumps.
- Remove one cake from the pan and line it wit a parchment paper. Place it half back in the pan and pour the filling over, spreading evenly.
- Top with the other half of dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, dust heavily with icing sugar to look like snow on a mountain. Cut
- into rectangles and serve.
Please follow and like us: