- 6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon rum, vodka or white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Icing sugar
- Combine egg yolks, salt, sour cream, vanilla and vinegar in bowl of mixer. Beat at high speed until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the flour and beat until blisters form, about 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, divide in half, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least an hour.
- Working with half of the dough at a time, roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 3 round cutters of decreasing size (2 1/2, 2 and 1 1/2 inches), cut an equal number of rounds.
- Cut 6 slashes in edges of large and medium rounds, and 4 slashes in small rounds. Dab center of large and medium rounds with egg white and stack the 3 rounds, pushing in the center to make them stick together. The slashes will make the dough curl up like the petals of a rose.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large, deep skillet to 350 degrees. Fry 4 to 6 rosettes at a time for 2 minutes or a bit less per side or until golden. These fry quickly, so watch closely. Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- Dollop raspberry, strawberry or apricot preserves in center of each rosette or place a candied cherry on top.
Please follow and like us: