For the Pie Crust:
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Apple filling:
- 3 large apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown or golden sugar
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Add cold butter and blend it together with a pastry cutter or in a food processor.
- Add sugar, eggs, cream and vanilla extract and work the dough until all ingredients are well blended together, then form a ball from your dough. Cut the ball of dough in half, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Wash your apples then peal them and remove cores. Using a box grater of your food processor grate the apples.
- In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan combine the apples, cinnamon, sugar and ground cloves, mix and place over medium heat. Cook for about 20 min, until apples are soft and there is not much sauce from the apples left. Set aside to cool.
- Line your 8 by 8 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with a non stick spray.
- After the dough has chilled sufficiently, remove one portion of the dough from the fridge and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry into rectangle more or less the size of your baking pan.
- Fold the dough in half and gently transfer to the baking pan and pressing with your fingers if you need to fill the bottom of the pan.
- Prick the dough with a fork all over the surface.
- Bake the crust for about 15 min in 180 degrees Celsius until golden brown and let it cool a little before the next step.
- Transfer cooked apples on the cooled crust and spread evenly with a spoon or spatula.
- Remove the second part of pastry from the fridge and roll it into a thin rectangle. Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut the pastry into about 3/4 inch (2 cm) strips. Place the strips of pastry on the apples creating a crisscross pattern.
- Bake the cake for about 25 to 30 min at 180 degrees Celsius until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.
Please follow and like us: