- 2 and a 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of cold butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbs of sour cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
Masa Krowkowa/Dulce de Leche
- 300 ml of sweetened condensed milk
- 300 ml of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs of butter
- Add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder to the food processor and pulse few times to mix it all.
- Add cold butter and process until butter is in small crumbs, around 30 seconds.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract and sour cream and process until it comes together.
- Transfer the dough on the working surface and form a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Line you baking pan with a parchment paper and preheat you oven to 200 C/400 F.
- Cut off 1/3 of the dough for the sides of Mazurek and roll the rest to the size of your baking pan.
- Roll the reserved 1/3 of the dough and roll out to around 2 mm thick. With a pizza cutter cut 3 thin stripes and create a braid. Arrange it around the Mazurek to create the sides.
- Poke the middle wit a fork and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool down completely before filling with a glaze of your choice. I’m using dulce de leche/ masa krowkowa but you can use chocolate ganache or tinted icing.
- Decorate with Easter eggs, bunnies or whatever you prefer. Let it set completely before cutting.
- Cook the sweetened condensed milk in a heavy bottom saucepan until it turns light brown colour. In a meantime bring the cream and butter almost to boil.
- Add the cream to condensed milk and stir until all is smooth. If you have some lumps left don’t worry just run it through the strainer.
- Pour over cooled Mazurek and doctorate to your liking!