- 1 and 1/3 cup of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tsp of dry instant yeast
- 500 g of ricotta/pot/farmers cheese
- 4 eggs
- 200 g smoked bacon
- 1/2 of an onion
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
Makes around 30 mini pies.
- Add water, salt, flour and yeast into your stand mixer and knead it with a hook attachment until you get smooth and elastic dough (around 5 min).
- Cover the dough and let it double in size ( around 2 hours). You can refrigerate before rise if you don't want to use the dough right away.
- While your dough is rising it is time to prepare the filling.
- Chop the bacon and the onion finely.
- Crisp the chopped bacon on the frying pan (around 3 to 5 min) before adding the onion. Fry until the onion turns translucent.
- Add eggs to the cheese and mix well, add fried bacon and onion and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix until all is well incorporated.
- Grease your muffin pan, you will need two of them or divide the dough in half if you are going to work with one.
- When your dough is ready, flour your working surface and transfer the dough there.
- Flatten it sprinkling with some more flour. Roll it out to about 1/2 cm thick.
- Cut round circles with a cookie cutter bigger than the size of a circle in your muffin pan. Line muffin pan with circles of dough. You might have to stretch the circles a bit and then push it around to fit it nicely.
- With a cookie scoop to 1 tbs spoon add the filling into the sender of each lined muffin whole.
- Bake in preheated oven to 180C/350F for 25 min.
- Few minutes after removing from the oven transfer the pies to a cooling wrack.
- You can serve them warm or cold. Store in refrigerator in an air tight container.