- 3 large oranges
- 1 and 1/2 cup of water
- 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of Rum (optional)
- Wash the oranges very well. With sharp knife, score the skin of the fruit (use only one type for a batch) into quarters,then peel it off with your fingers.
- Peel the oranges to get 4 or 6 wedges. Get rid of the excess white part of the skin.
- Cut the peel in stripes then in squares.
- Add the peel to the medium pot and cover with water, bring it to boil and cook for 3 minutes. Drain. Repeat the process two more times.
- Add water and sugar to a pot and bring to boil. Let the sugar dissolve. Add the peel and cook on low heat until the liquid is thick and the peel transparent. It might take up to an hour and a half.
- Transfer to a jar. You can add rum now.
- You can can it at this point or let it cool down completely and store in the refrigerator.