- 1 cup of butter
- 300 grams of pot cheese
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Egg for egg wash
- Cut butter into small pieces and place in a freezer for 20 minutes.
- Add flour and baking powder to the food processor and pulse few times to mix.
- Add cold butter and pulse until small crumbles (you can also use a pastry blender here).
- Add pressed cottage cheese (you can use ricotta cheese if it is not too watery), egg yolks and vanilla extract. Process until it forms a ball of dough.
- Split the dough into two parts and cover in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- After an hour you can roll your dough to about 3 mm thick and cut heart shapes (5cm tall/2inch). In every other heart cut a smaller heart out. Layer the whole heart with a cut out on top and spoon a bit of jam in the opening.
- Brush with an egg wash and bake for 25 to 30 min in 180 degrees, Celsius(350F) oven (until nice and golden brown).
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.