- 400 g of pork spare ribs
- 200 g of smoked bacon
- few small potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsley roots
- half of an onion
- half of a celery root
- 1 cup of barley
- 2 bay leaves
- all spice
- salt and pepper
- Wash the ribs and cut into smaller pieces.
- Add ribs and bacon to a large pot and cover with 2 and a 1/2 litre of water. Bring to boil and clean any foam showing up while boiling.
- Wash and peal off your vegetables. Chop potatoes, carrots and parsley into bite size pieces. Keep the potatoes in a cold water until you add them to the soup.
- Cut onion and celery root into quarters.
- After you removed foam from boiling mean add all the veggies except the potatoes.
- Add thoroughly rinsed barley and stir.
- Add bay leaf, all spice and salt and pepper to taste and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the onion, celery root and bacon from the soup and add chopped potatoes.
- Cook for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley.