For the Cake:
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup milk, lukewarm
- 3 cups flour 450 grams ( may need a bit more)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
For the Cheese filling:
- 500g pressed cottage cheese
- 2 eggs plus egg whites from the cake
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 of cup butter
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Separate the eegs. ( Two egg whites put aside for cheese filling).
- Beat the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add yeast mixture and the remaining cake ingredients to the mixer bowl. Mix well with a dough hook to obtain a smooth dough.
- Spray the dough with a non stick spray, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Separate your eggs. Combine the egg whites left from the cake and beat until stiff peaks.
- Add the pressed cottage cheese to a mixing bowl and add sugar. using your pastry blender or fork blend it together. Add egg yolks one at a time mixing well after each addition with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg whites in two steps, folding in gently.
- Spray your spring form pan with a non stick spray and line the bottom with a parchment paper.
- Divide your dough in to two parts. One part spread on the bottom of the pan then put the cheese layer and cover with the remaining dough. Spray lightly with a non stick spray or brush with melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Into a mixing bowl add together cold butter cut into small cubes, sugar and flour and blend with a pastry blender until butter is in half a peas size.
- Preheat you oven to 180 C/350 F. Sprinkle top of the cake with butter, flour and sugar mixture and bake for 55 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if browns too much. Let it cool down completely before cutting.