For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 100g icing sugar 2/3 of a cup
- 150 ml oil
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups pastry flour 250 g
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbs cocoa
- 2 tbs milk
- 350 g frozen cherries
For the cream:
- 500 ml milk
- 6 tbs of semolina
- 6 tbs of icing sugar
- 2tsp of vanilla extract
- 230 g butter, softened
- Chocolate topping:
- 250 g plain chocolate
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- In a large bowl whisk eggs with electric mixer until light and fluffy than gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions. Gradually add oil, still beating. Add vanilla.
- In another bowl sift flour with baking powder. Fold the dry ingredients into egg mixture alternating with the milk. Mix until smooth; don't over mix.
- Line your 9 by 12 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Spread half of the batter in the bottom of the prepared baking sheet. Stir the cocoa powder and 2 tablespoon of milk into the remaining batter just until blended. Spread evenly over the white layer.
- Arrange cherries evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the semolina and around 1/2 cup of milk. Heat the rest of the milk with sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan just until hot but not boiling. Whisk in the semolina mixture, and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool completely.
- Cream softened butter. Add the custard spoon by spoon and mix well. Spread the cream on top of the cool cake evenly. Refrigerate until firm.
- Heat the cream until almost boiling and then melt the chocolate in it. Let it cool a little bit. Use it to decorate the top of the cake.