- 500 grams of good quality stewing beef
- 500 grams of white button mushrooms
- Large onion
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 tbs of mustard
- 1/4 cup of tomato purée
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 4 tbs of oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- Cut your meat into thin stripes. season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the flour into a mixing bowl and drop beef in, few pieces at a time. Mix well to coat all pieces of meat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, in a non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Place beef pieces in skillet and brown.
- Add other 2 tablespoons of oil to the high sides pan and add onions. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until soft and glossy.
- Add mushrooms, season with some salt and cook for few minutes, stirring.
- Add browned meat, mustard, tomato puree and the beef stock to the mushrooms.
- Mix until all is well combined. Cover and let simmer 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After beef has simmered 1/2 hour, add wine and sugar, stir and simmer some more. The meat has to be very tender and the time will depend on the meat.
- When you are happy with the tenderness of your meat, turn off heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve over egg noodles, potato dumplings rice or mashed potatoes.