- 500 grams of yellow split peas
- 1 kg of sauerkraut
- bay leaf
- all spice
- 1/2 of a large onion
- salt and pepper
- Rinse your split peas and then soak in three times more water than you have peas, 6 cups in this case. Leave it best over night.
- The next day, season your peas with salt and cook on medium low heat until the peas are soft and a little bit mushy. Remove the foam which is forming and stir from time to time while cooking.
- Drain your cabbage and check if it needs rinse (if it is too sour). Add your cabbage to a pot cover with some water. Add your bay leaf and all spice and cook until the cabbage gets tender. Mix from time to time and add more water if needed.
- Drain your cabbage. take out your bay leaf and all spice if you can find it :). Chop you cabbage.
- Chop your onion and fry on a little bit of oil until soft and glossy.
- Mix together your peas cabbage and onion, season with salt and pepper.
- I like to use ice cream scoop to serve it.