- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 4 cups flour 600 grams ( may need a bit more)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Poppy seed filling around 800 grams
- 1/2 cup of Icing sugar
- 1 tbs of Lemon juice
- 1 egg for an egg wash
- Some Sliced almonds
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Separate your eggs, Set two egg whites aside for the poppy filling.
- After around 5 minutes, add to your mixer bowl milk/yeast mixture, your eggs (1 full and 2 egg yolks) and then add remaining ingredients. Mix well with a dough hook to obtain a smooth dough.
- Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Beat your two egg whites to stiff picks and mix with your poppy seed filling.
- Grease 2 loaf pans and line with a parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 2 parts. Work with one section at time. Roll the dough wide as your loaf pan is.
- Spread your poppy seed filling over the dough. Fold the sides and roll. Place it in your loaf pan seal side down.
- Cover an let it rise for about 30 minutes or until in fills the loaf pan nicely.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Mix icing sugar with lemon juice and hot water until spreading consistency and decorate your rolls. Sprinkle with almonds.