For the crust:
- 150 grams of cookies
- 4 tbs melted butter 55 grams
For the cheese layer:
- 700 grams ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbs of corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the poppy seed layer:
- Poppy Seed filling around 800 gram
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs of sugar
- Prepare your cookie crust. Spray your spring cake pan with a non stick spray and line the bottom with a parchment paper.
- Place your cookies in a zip lock bag and smash them until small crumbs.
- Transfer into a mixing bowl and add melted butter. Stir and transfer to spring form baking pan.
- Using back of a spoon or your fingers spread the cookie crumbs on the bottom of the pan and press firmly.
- Bake in preheated oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Separate your eggs. Beat the whites until stiff peaks and set aside.
- Add sugar to your egg yolks and beat until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the egg yolks to the poppy seed filling and stir. When all is well incorporated add the egg whites and fold it. spread the filling evenly over your baked crust.
- Separate your eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Add your room temperature butter to your stand mixed and beat it for around 30 seconds then add sugar and beat some more.
- Add egg yolks one at a time beating for around 30 seconds after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix for 30 seconds then add the cheese a spoon at a time.
- Add corn starch and mix for 15 seconds. Add the egg whites in two steps, folding in gently.
- Spread the cheese layer over the poppy seed layer and smooth out the surface.
- Cover with aluminium foil to keep it very light coloured and bake in preheated oven to 170 degrees Celsius for one hour.
- Turn off the oven and let it cool slowly with a door a bit open.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving.