For the cake:
- 3 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 50 grams of silvered almonds
- cup of currant jam
For the cream:
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3 tbs of sugar
- 2 tbs of corn starch
- 2 tbs of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- Separate your egg yolks from whites. Keep two egg yolks for the cream separately.
- In the mixing bowl combine your flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add butter and 4 egg yolks. Using pastry cutter or knife cut into small pieces.
- Using your hands mix everything together until you have a ball of dough. Cut it in half.
- Spray your baking pans (9by13) with non stick spray and lay with parchment paper.
- Flower your working surface lightly and roll both parts of the dough to fill out your baking pans. I prefer to spread it with my hands.
- Spread the jam over your dough and bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add all 6 egg whites in to your mixer bowl and beat until soft peaks then add icing sugar, spoon by spoon. Beat until all the sugar is very well incorporated.
- Spread over cooled cakes evenly and sprinkle with almonds. Bake again at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- Pour half of the milk into medium saucepan and heat until almost boiling.
- Combine the remaining milk with two egg yolks, sugar, corn starch, flour and vanilla extract.
- Bring the heat to low, add your egg yolks mixture to the hot milk. Mixing constantly, heat on low until it thickens. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent creating a skin. Let it cool completely.
- In your mixer bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy then add the cream spoon by spoon.
- Remove the parchment paper from your cake. Spread the whole cream over one cake and cover with the other. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving.