- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp of instant yeast
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar for the yeast
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 of a cup icing sugar
- few tbs of lemon juice
- some candied orange peal
- Soak the raisins with a hot water (or with rum).
- Warm up the milk and pour into a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and mix. Sprinkle yeast on top and add few tablespoons of flour and combine well. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks and beat until thick and lemon-coloured, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and combine well.
- Drain your raisins ans set aside.
- Combine your salt with remaining flour. If you use stand mixer use your paddle attachment.
- Add your risen yeast mixture and remaining flour to the egg mixture and beat vigorously for about 5 minutes by machine with the paddle attachment or 10 minutes if you do it by hand (wooden spoon).
- Add melted butter and continue to beat an additional 5 minutes. Beat in raisins. Scrape down sides. Dough will be sticky. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Generously coat bundt cake pan with cooking spray and using a spoon transfer your risen dough.
- Cover and let rise 1 more hour or until dough almost fills the pan.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C and bake Babka about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing.
- Prepare frosting by mixing icing sugar with lemon juice (adding few drops at the time) and glaze cake. Icing should not be too thin or thick, if necessary add icing sugar, or add a few drops of juice. Decorate with candied orange peal.