For the starter:
- 125ml milk
- 1 tsp of instant dry yeast
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup of flour
For the dough:
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs sugar
- 4 tbs water
- 2 and 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 tbs of melted butter 30 g
- Egg yolk for brushing the top
- Add all the ingredients for the starter into one bowl, mix cover and set aside for 30 min to rise.
- After 30 min add all the remaining ingredients and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Mix for 5 min and let rise until it doubles in size.
- Line your baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough, knead few times and split in three equal parts. Roll each part into a log shape, pinch all three at one end and braid.
- Set on a baking sheet, spray with a nonstick spray and cover with a tea towel. Let it double in size again.
- Brush the top with egg yolk and bake in preheated oven to 180C/350F for 25 to 30 minutes. When you tap on the top it should make a hollow sound. If it brownes too fast – cover with aluminium foil.
- You can serve it with a bit of butter and your favorite jam or my kids are crazy for P&J sandwiches made with chalka.
Please follow and like us: